Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Short Vacation

Well, I am taking a break and running away from the rat race and am turning in my laptop, gadgets, what-have-you for a much deserved pampering at the beach - and yes - non-alcoholic pina colada (with the little umbrella in it, thank you very much!)


Will attempt to wean myself away from all news F1 related and otherwise until 15th April - after which I shall be back with a vengeance.


However, this morning at least, I did go through what has been written regarding Fernando today, (sorry, I know I keep vacillating between Alonso and Fernando - but, I guess I tend to go all "Alonso" during a race, and on off weekends, will refer to him as "Fernando".)


An example of how 2 stories from the same source can be given flavour - depending on the bias of the writer is outlined below:


The first is the more neutral article:
"Alonso Learning from Adversity" (by Ian Parkes) -


and the second in Planetf1:
"Alonso Bemoans : Renault Are Only 8th Fastest in 11 Teams."


Actually the articles came from "Q&A with Fernando Alonso," which I found to be very enlightening in regards to R-28 and the performance in Bahrain. Personally, I felt that Fernando, again, was very open and honest about the car and its capabilities and managed the question on the collision with Hammyboy really well. He is once more, very realistic about the chances in Catalunya. None of the arrogance and diva-esque attitude that he was so often accused of. To us fans, he is being realistic and open, but to those who are into character assasination, they manage to twist the whole interview as Fernando complaining and moaning "AGAIN" about the car.


I feel that Fernando is consistently proving that he is a great driver each time he gets on track. The car is very slow coming out of corners, and the handling of the car seems to be rough, yet, the fans have seen some really exciting racing from Fernando (in the middle pack though it may be.) I actually agree with what was said by the ESPN Star commentators in the past few "live" coverage of F1 Race Day - at this point in time, it is definitely the case of the driver flattering the car.

Perhaps, it is a case of knowing that you can't win with the media. If they are keen to twist your words and portray you as a bad person, they will do so.

If that is the case - what would a person do? Well, in my opinion... nothing else for it - get in the car, race your heart out, have fun, get to the centre of your universe and re-discover what it was about racing that you love. After all, that is the one thing that the media cannot criticise - outright talent and skill - Fernando has both oozing out of his ears!

No comments: