Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Nelsinho Says...

As I start my day in the office, the first thing I do, (besides checking my mail,) is to go to Planetf1.com. I am rather addicted to that site and a few other F1 sites, but I find PlanetF1 to be one of the best. The forumers are really funny and some of the posts there really make me laugh. And yes, they do give me fodder for some of the speeches that my partner and I write - particularly when it is linked to F1 type functions.

Anyway, today, as I scan through the news items, I came across an article on Nelson Piquet Jr. Well, generally he says that life in F1 is much harder than he had originally thought it would be.

To read the whole story, you can click on the following link:
http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3373294,00.html

what interested me was how the article ended. The short, almost forgotten paragraph stated:

Piquet Jr also paid tribute to his team-mate Fernando Alonso. "He's been very good with me. He's been a great team-mate," Piquet Jr said.

I am betting that:

a) this statement will not be picked up in the British press because it will put paid to their
conspiracy that Alonso is a bad team mate and cannot get along with anyone in any team -
not just McLaren and Hamilton;
b) if it gets picked up, the slant will be towards, - all lovey dovey in Renault-
land, but that is to be expected because Nelsinho is not seen as a threat
to Alonso's alpha-male status in Renault.

I guess at this point in time, you cannot really win if you are Alonso. Any nice statements about him, it gets written in as an afterthought. Any picture of him getting along with other drivers gets shoved down the dusty rows of the archives. The media needs an antagonist, and at this point, Alonso is the chosen one.

IMHO, there needs to be a quiet but visible "transformation" of sorts in terms of his profile - sort of Alonso Comes of Age slant for 2008. This will definitely help with his public image with the sponsors and potential teams in the near future. While 2007 season can never be erased, it can certainly be utilised in crafting an image of a more worldly, matured and centred Alonso today.

Oh well, enough time for conjecture... back to the real world, and my piling emails.

No comments: